Thursday 19 April 2007

Philby's headstone


Click on this picture to enlarge it. Do you, as I do, detect a disappointed man? He wrote in My Silent War (1968 -- I do not have the book here in Moscow so I am quoting from memory) that in 1932 he left Cambridge "with a degree and a conviction that my life should be devoted to Communism. I have long since lost the degree, indeed I think it is in the possession of MI5, but I have retained the conviction." When faced with the aberrations of individuals, he was forced to chose whether to abandon his faith and "become a querulous outcast of the Koestler, Muggeridge, Crankshaw variety, railing against the god that had failed me, or to stay the course. I stayed the course. Now as I look out of my study window in Moscow, I see all around me the solid foundations of the future I first glimpsed at Cambridge over thirty years ago."

What, I have wondered many times, when seeing Ferraris and Bentleys racing black Porsches and Hummers round the Kremlin and up Tverskoy Street--no longer Gorky Street--would Philby have thought if he had lived just a few years longer?